Saturday, June 21, 2014

Comrades

*Disclaimer: This isn't about any one person.  It's about all of us.*

Half empty, half full,
we're starting over.

I wrote you a letter called Comrades In October.  It doesn't make a lot of sense and goes on for longer than it needed to be.  I talked a lot about Pulp Fiction and it got a bit accusatory of Israel.  But I meant well.

Things never really turn out right.  Or at least not how we want them to.

I wanted a lot more than what you gave me.  The minimalist approach to human interaction, the half-hearted blow off.  When it was slow, it was alcohol you turned to.  The feeling that whatever you did didn't count or mean anything turned you on.  You were invincible.

But you didn't even recognize me at midnight when I left.  Telling you I was just a phone call away and you turned the other way and said you really hate the way I look at you when you're drunk.

"I need to get my life together, don't I?"

We're always starting over.  A big hug and an empty bottle.  You'll get your life together maybe if you want to.  But until then, I'll paint you a picture of a girl who is trying to not let herself love you any more than she already does.

But we'll always have October.  And you'll always be that one who sang me songs and cared about my stupid crushes.  You were there from the beginning, when all we needed was our tree.  Our tree, our music, and our wasted teenage lives.

I'm starting over.








7 comments:

  1. I talked a lot about Pulp Fiction and it got a bit accusatory of Israel. But I meant well.

    I loved this line and love your blog. wow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Things never really turn out right. Or at least not how we want them to."
    You're right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is everything i've been trying to sum up in my head and you know that. so thank you for saying what i couldn't. love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is all too familiar. I love this and I'm not sure who you are but I have a pretty good idea and I like you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "But you didn't even recognize me at midnight when I left." that line hit hard. beautiful. the whole post was so meaningful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I freaking miss high school in a way that I kind of rage when I think about all the good times that have gone.
    This made me sad.

    Thank you so much for your comment on my blog. It made me ridiculously happy :) You are amazing.

    ReplyDelete