Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Here's Too Forgetting




                                          
I fell for a boy and it was the worst thing I could have done. 

He brushed my hair and then let me down easy, and I think that’s when I knew that I was just like all the other girls.  I was just another misunderstanding.

We were perfect strangers with an incomplete love, yet I still marvel at how we fit together like sprockets and gears.

But someone else was cranking that wheel that made it all burn, someone else was watching and waiting and wondering how it would all work out in the end.  And I’m here to say that it didn’t, because I still see teeth marks on the glass cups in the dining room.  I still hear the ground move. 

And every day I spray the windows and I scrub the already clean dishes, and think about when he used to take my hands and study the bends and lines in them like he was about to take a test. 

I needed you more than you allowed.  Were you even upset at all?  Do you ever think about the tap dancing lessons or the bottom of the sink after you spilled the champagne?  Do you ever listen to that song we both hate, and think about how it’s not as bad when you’re alone?

I do.

And I think that if you gave me the chance, I’d let you take me to Denver.  I’d let you ask me about the scar on my leg, and this time I’d tell you the truth.  

1 comment:

  1. "and think about when he used to take my hands and study the bends and lines in them like he was about to take a test." My favorite line. Wow, you're a wizard with words. You sure know how to keep a captive audience. I can't wait to see what you do with movies.

    ReplyDelete